A simply lovely choccie cake should be in everyone’s repertoire, and this one doesn’t disappoint! The luscious sponge is the perfect partner for afternoon tea but is also brilliant served with freshly whipped cream for an after-dinner thrill.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Bake: 1 hour 15 mins
Ready in: 1 hour 25 mins
- 7 ounce (200 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounce (250 g) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups (330 g) CSR Raw Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (85 g) dark cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (157 ml) hot water
- 2 cups (255 g) plain flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup (43 g) almond meal
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Fresh berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin with baking paper. Put chocolate and 2 ounces (75 g) of the butter in a small saucepan and cook over a low heat until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Put remaining butter and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes or until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- Put cocoa and water in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarb into a medium bowl. Fold into butter mixture with almond meal and cocoa mixture. Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust cake with icing sugar and top with berries to serve.