Very moist and rich.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Bake: 30 mins
Ready in: 45 mins
Serves: One 9 x 13 (22 x 33 cm) inch cake
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups (250 g) cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (6 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- 1 (21 ounce) (595 g) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour one 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) baking pan.
- Cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and almond extract and beat well. Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- By hand, stir the cake flour, baking soda and salt together. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the cherry pie filling. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Cool and frost with Chocolate Buttercream.