This is a one bowl cake. You can substitute sour milk for buttermilk – mix 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and let stand for 10 minutes. Frost with Coffee Icing.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Bake: 30 mins
Ready in: 45 mins
Serves: One 9 inch (22 cm) layer cake
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 g) white sugar
- 2/3 cup (55 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (235 ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) instant coffee powder
- 1 cup (235 ml) hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch (22 cm) round cake pans.
- Measure flour, sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder, soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. Dissolve instant coffee in hot water, and add to mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth; batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Frost cooled cake with Coffee Icing. After frosting, melt some semisweet chocolate baking squares or chips in a double boiler. Drizzle chocolate around top outside edges letting it run down sides, or over top of cake.