This is handy when you don’t have an egg in the house and you need something other than gelatin for dessert.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Bake: 45 mins
Ready in: 50 mins
Serves: One 9 inch (22 cm) square pan
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 g) salt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) white sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter, melted
- 1 cup (220 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups (415 ml) hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch (22 cm) square pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cocoa. Stir in the milk and melted butter. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cocoa. Spread over the top of the batter in the pan. Pour the hot water over the entire pan of batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. The cake is done when the cake part is on top and the bottom is of a pudding consistency.