This is a very moist and light angel food.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Bake: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
Serves: One 10 inch (25 cm) tube cake
- 2 cups (475 ml) egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 g) salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (4 g) cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups (250 g) white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (180 g) cake flour
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (6 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, cake flour, and cocoa. Sift together 2 times, and set aside.
- In a clean large bowl, whip egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until very stiff. Fold in white sugar 2 tablespoons (30 g) at a time while continuing to mix. Fold in flour mixture, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a 10 inch (25 cm) tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for approximately 1 hour, or until cake springs back when touched.