This is an extremely moist cake that ranks right up there for all the chocoholics in my home. It does not need to be frosted because it is sprinkled with chocolate chips and walnuts before baking. Easy AND delicious!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Bake: 35 mins
Ready in: 55 mins
Serves: One 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) pan
- 2 cups (250 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (475 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer set on medium speed. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.