This cake is dense, dark and delicious.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Bake: 60 mins
Ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: One 9 or 10 inch (22 or 25 cm) tube pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (225 g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 g) white sugar
- 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (235 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (310 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 g) salt
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff, and set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Melt the chocolate in the hot water. Beat in the egg yolks, then the melted chocolate, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat into the chocolate mixture. Stir in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the batter and then fold in the rest gently but thoroughly.
- Turn the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 1 hour, or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Let cool on a rack. Makes 16 servings.