A dense, moist chocolate cake made from scratch. Can be doubled without any problems.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Bake: 45 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 15 mins
Serves: One 9 inch (22 cm) tube pan
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter
- 4 (1 ounce) (112 g) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 g) white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch (22 cm) tube pan. In small saucepan, heat butter, chocolate and water until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together into a large bowl the flour, sugar and baking soda. In a small bowl, beat egg slightly and combine with sour cream and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture. Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture. Beat at low speed for 5 minutes until completely combined and the consistency of heavy cream.
- Pour batter into prepared 9 inch (22 cm) tube pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.