This mini version of the classic Red Velvet Cake is one of the more popular offerings in bakeries all across the country. Whip up a batch this holiday season or anytime of the year.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Bake: 20 mins
Ready in: 40 mins
Serves: 30 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups (310 g) flour
- 1/2 cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (225 g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 g) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (230 g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) (224 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (55 g) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 (16 ounce / 450 g) box confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 °C). Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, softened, butter, sour cream and McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.