This cake was popular during the depression, and does not have eggs in it.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Bake: 30 mins
Ready in: 45 mins
Serves: One 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) cake pan
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (475 ml) cold water
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.